I had a chance to get in the kitchen to bake the other day and decided to try my hand at coming up with a new recipe. The weather finally has a chill to it and when that happens I like to use classic fall ingredients. Things like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and of course pumpkin. They taste wonderful together and make the house smell amazing.
I came up with Pumpkin Spice Blondies for a little twist on a traditional pumpkin cookie. A blondie is like a chocolate cookie in a “brownie” form. Baked in a 9×13 pan, cut into bars and a little bit more firm and crunchy than a cookie.
I wanted to see what a pumpkin spice blondie would be like and I think I came up with a great recipe. I know because everyone who eats them says how good they are. Even my 9th grader on the way home from school, out of the blue, mentioned how good “those pumpkin things you made were”. That’s how I know I have a hit of a recipe. I hope you enjoy it too.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together butter, shortening and brown sugar
- Stir in eggs and pumpkin puree
- Sift the dry ingredients together
- Gradually add to the creamed mixture
- Mix well
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips
- Spread into a greased 9x13 pan
- Bake for 32-35 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean