The New Year has begun, the kids are back in school and I finally have some time to devote to the blog. Life has a way of getting busy and as a mom I find myself taking care of everyone else’s needs before my own. Creating things for my blog is a creative outlet that I have desperately missed. I have some fun things planned for 2018 for my creative space and I can’t wait.The first recipe I want to share with you is Easy Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches. These are one of my kid’s favorite breakfasts, especially when we are headed out on a road trip or on a busy morning where we can pop a pre-made breakfast sandwich into the microwave. In our house we call them “Memaw Muffins” because my mom was the first one to serve them to the kids and they are a favorite meal at her house.
I like them because they are easy to make, assemble and to freeze for later. I also have all the ingredients on hand most of the time. There are 3 basic ingredients: pancakes, a fried egg (I like to break the yolk so it cooks faster and is spread through the egg) and ham. You could add a slice of cheese if you so desire. I have used left-over ham from thanksgiving or a simple slice of deli ham. I make my own pancake batter with the recipe I will share below, but you could also use a pancake mix or even frozen pancakes. We get an assembly line going so we can make a bunch all at once.
They are super easy to customize to each person’s tastes so everyone has a breakfast that they love. For busy mornings I like to wrap some in parchment paper, put them in a zip-top bag and pop them in the freezer. Then all the kids have to do is microwave the wrapped, frozen sandwich for 30-45 seconds and breakfast is ready. What could be easier?
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 TBL Oil
- 2 TBL sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Fried egg (break the yolk to cook it more evenly and flat)
- 1 slice fried ham (or bacon)
- In a large bowl mix together milk, egg and oil with a whisk
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Scoop batter onto a greased, pre-heated griddle in 4" circles
- The griddle should be heated to 325 degrees
- When bubbles form all over the batter the pancake is ready to flip
- Cook on the other side 1-2 minutes until the batter is completely cooked
- fry an egg into approximately 4" circle
- As you are frying break the yolk
- Once the egg is fairly firm flip to cook the other side
- For better flavor fry a slice of ham in a greased frying pan until just browned on both sides.
- place the egg and ham on one pancake and then top with a second pancake.
- To freeze the sandwich wrap in parchment paper and place in a zip-top bag. When ready to eat microwave the parchment wrapped sandwich for about 45 seconds until heated through.