We have had a lot of Valentine’s parties and get togethers that I have been asked to bring a little nibble to. With the theme of Valentine’s being sweets and candy I wanted to have a recipe that was on the savory side to help combat all that delicious sweetness. So I introduce you to heart shaped cheese puffs. They are simple to make with just 3 ingredients and are a great fun food to help celebrate Valentine’s day. It also uses puff pastry sheets which make it a quick recipe to make.
The hardest part is cutting them out, just because it takes a little time. The recipe is simple (a printable version is below). With a sheet of thawed puffed pastry spread melted butter and then sprinkle your favorite cheese over that. With a rolling pin with a slightly firm had, roll the cheese into the dough, one direction and then the other. There will still be cheese that falls off. Then cut out with a heart shaped cookie cutter. I used a 2″ heart shaped so I would have lots of hearts to share. After placing them on a lightly greased cookie sheet place them in the freezer for 10 minutes. This will help them bake up nice and crisp. Then bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. I like mine with plenty of crispy brown parts on them, but you cook them to your liking.
They taste best the day you make them, but can be made a head and kept in a airtight container. I would suggest if you do this to crisp them up real fast in the oven again for a few minutes. I hope your Valentine’s day brings you lots of love, candy and maybe even a little jewlery!
- 1 sheet puffed pastry, thawed
- 1 TBL butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400
- Lay the puffed pastry on a lightly floured surface
- Roll just slightly with a rolling pin
- brush butter over the entire surface
- sprinkle cheese over the entire surface
- Roll the cheese into the dough with the rolling pin
- First one direction and then the other
- cut out with a 2" heart shaped cookie cutter
- place on a lightly greased cookie sheet
- place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- bake at 400 for 8-10 or until golden brown