I have fallen in love with this easy recipe for slow cooker Santa Fe chicken. 6 ingredients go together really fast into the slow cooker, cook all day and are ready to mix up and serve over rice at dinner time.
It even goes well over other things:
My kids love rice, so I usually fix some for them to go with Santa Fe chicken. I like to add a few more whole grains into my diet so I have tried this over Quinoa and it is fabulous. My husband is watching his carbs, so Santa Fe chicken served over steamed and mashed cauliflower is dish he loves.
I am a fan of using the slow cooker for every season. During the summer it doesn’t heat up the kitchen plus dinner is ready after a long day of play. In the cold months of winter it is just the right tool to meld all the wonderful flavors in a stew or a soup like my Ham and Lentil Soup or my Turkey and Wild Rice Soup.
The fact that I can start dinner in the morning and not think about it until we are all hungry and it is ready to serve is marvelous. My Santa Fe Chicken recipe is basic and allows you to add any type of topping you would like to suit your tastes. Chopped onions, avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream are a few of my favorites.
Printable recipe is below
Don’t forget to Pin to Pinterest for later!
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can green chiles (small or large can depending on your taste)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 big boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- cooked rice for serving
- place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker
- pour the rest of the ingredients on top of the chicken breasts
- cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender
- with two forks shred the chicken while in the slow cooker
- Stir to combine ingredients
- serve over rice, quinoa or anything else you would like