Meal in a pumpkin is a fun recipe to serve your family. The pumpkin is filled with rice, hamburger and lots of flavor.
One of our favorite meals to fix in the fall is Meal in a Pumpkin. We usually decorate with a lot of pumpkins and only carve a couple for halloween. This leaves some pumpkins for decorating and at least one for fixing meal in a pumpkin.
You will need a medium sized pumpkin to begin with. To begin cut a hole around the stem for the top and then clean out the innards. Then create the filling from ground beef, rice, cream of mushroom soup and spices. (The recipe is below)
Once the filling is ready you will place it in the pumpkin and then the whole pumpkin, filled with the rice and meat filling and cook the whole thing. Cooking the pumpkin gives the filling a wonderful flavor.
Plus when you serve it, if you scrape your spoon against the inside of the pumpkin you will also get some yummy and tender pumpkin to add to your meal. My kids don’t like the pumpkin in their rice, but my husband and I do. It is easy to serve both ways, so it is family friendly.
The pumpkin stays warm for a long time, so this recipe is also good to serve on a buffet. It is a fun and unique meal to serve that your family will love.
- 1 onion
- 2 Tbl soy sauce
- 2 cans mushrooms drained
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 lb hamburger
- 2 TBL brown sugar
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Brown hamburger and onion.
- Add soy sauce, brown sugar, mushrooms, soup and seasonings
- simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Spoon into medium, cleaned out pumpkin.
- Place pumpkin on baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 1-2 hours.
- It depends on the size of your pumpkin.
- Check to see if pumpkin is tender with a knife about 1/3 way up the pumpkin.
- When you serve, scrape some of the pumpkin from the side along with the rice mixture.
- You can cut the ingredients in half in you have a smaller pumpkin or increase for a larger pumpkin.
Don’t forget to PIN to pinterest for later!