Salted Cranberry Pecan Bark~ The perfect combination of sweet and salty flavors
Creating delicious, yet easy to make treats is a favorite past time of mine. Over the years I have learned that I love to make delicious recipes, but I am always so much happier if they are easy to make. You can make a statement with your recipes without spending all day in the kitchen.
Christmas is a time where I love to give gifts that I have made in the kitchen. It is fun for me to create scrumptious food and share it with those I love. This year I created Salted Cranberry Pecan Bark after tasting a salted peppermint bark at Williams Sonoma that I loved. I have found that I love just the hint of salt on my sweet treats. It is a little surprise to the tongue that also helps to bring out the flavor of the dessert. The salt also helps cut the sweetness just a tad which I like.
This bark recipe is made in the Microwave and is a wonderful recipe to get the kids involved in. I believe that we should have our kids help in the kitchen as much as possible. They need to learn the important life skill of preparing food. Depending upon their age they can help stir the chocolate, push the buttons on the microwave or help spread the chocolate mixture on the pan.
Another fun step for them is breaking the bark apart. Look for ways to make cooking and baking exciting, fun and interesting for kids. Have them get their hands into it. Let them learn under your supervision. You will also make great memories doing this.
Salted Cranberry Pecan Bark can be made ahead and stored covered, at room temperature for a week. But I can almost guarantee that it won’t last that long. It’s just that good.
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp shortening
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 tsp course salt
- 2 TBL cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- In a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and shortening
- Microwave at 30 second increments, stirring in-between each time
- Do this 3-4 times until chocolate is all melted
- Once chocolate is melted, Add in the pecans and cranberries stirring well
- Spread onto a baking sheet that has been covered in wax paper
- Spread to 1/4 inch thickness
- Sprinkle the salt evenly on top
- Sprinkle the topping of cranberries and pecans evenly on top
- Gently press the toppings into the bark
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until bark is set
- Gently break apart with your hands into bit size pieces
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.