Crock-Pot Beef Stew is full of flavor and is perfect on a chilly day. Plus it is one of our family’s favorite recipes.
Crock Pot Beef Stew:
The name just makes my mouth start to water. This is hands down my favorite stew recipe and I have been making it for years. I take the extra step of roasting the vegetables in the oven before adding them to the crock-pot. It adds a depth of flavor that makes this stew so delicious.
You can use any vegetable combination:
I use root vegetables in this stew and have given you the quantities in the recipe. However, you can use any combination of vegetables that your family likes. That is the great thing about stew recipes. They are very adaptable to every taste. I have even thrown in a few left-over vegetables now and then.
The secret to a good stew is great seasonings:
With so many root vegetables in this stew it takes a good amount of seasoning for a great flavor. Root vegetables such as potatoes take a fair amount of salt and seasonings to bring out their flavor so they are not bland. I think that is why roasting the vegetables helps so much. When I roast them I add salt and other seasonings during that step and then additionally in the stew.
A well seasoned stew doesn’t mean that it is salty. This recipe uses just enough salt to bring out the flavors and has lots of others seasonings to make a well rounded flavor.
You can use different cuts of beef:
My preference for the beef I use in this crock-pot beef stew is Beef for Carne Picada. It is cut up a little more than stew beef. However, you can use stew beef, left over beef or cut up beef yourself. You can really use this recipe as written for a fabulous beef stew or use it as a guide for a stew mixture that is to your taste.
Another tip for seasoning stew is to season the meat well as you brown it. I like to use diced garlic as I brown the beef. The easy to use kind that comes already diced in the jar.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much a my family does.
- 1 TBL minced garlic
- 1 1/4 LB beef for Carne Picada (or stew beef)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & diced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled & diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2-3 TBL Olive Oil
- 32 oz Beef Broth
- Place the potatoes, squash and turnip on 1-2 greased baking pans
- Toss with the olive oil
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp salt
- Roast at 475 stirring once, until potatoes start to brown
- Meanwhile in a skillet brown the beef with the garlic and onions
- As the meat browns add the pepper & Italian seasoning
- When the meat is browned place in a 6 qt slow-cooker
- Add the roasted vegetables and beef broth
- Stir to combine
- cook on high 4 hour or on low 6 hours
Don’t forget to Pin to PINTEREST: