For my daughter’s birthday she said she wanted something a little different for her birthday cake. She had seen a cookies and cream cake that she thought looked good, so I decided to concoct one of my own.
I decided to try a cookies and cream poke cake. I poke cake is where you take any cake as the base, poke holes in it and fill the holes with yummy goodness of some kind. They usually are stored in the refrigerator which makes it a nice, cool dessert. For this poke cake I used a chocolate cake mix prepared according to directions, 2 cookies & cream pudding mixes, dry whipped topping mix (you can find it by the pudding) and chocolate sandwich cookies. After the cake was cooked and had cooled for 10 minutes I made my holes with the end of a wooden spoon. I wanted them nice and big for all the pudding to seep down into the cake base.
While the cake was cooling I prepared one of the boxes of pudding according to the directions. After cooling the cake for 10 minutes and poking the holes I spread all of the pudding over the cake. I let that sit in the refrigerator while I prepared the topping.
For the topping I used 1- 4 serving cookies & cream pudding mix, 2 whipped topping mixes, 2 1/2 cups milk and 10 crushed chocolate sandwich cookies. Mix the mixes and the milk together with an electric mixer and a whisk attachment. Beat for 2-3 minutes or until it becomes thick and fluffy. The whipped topping mixes make it nice and fluffy! Once it is finished. Spread on the cake for the topping. Crush the cookies in a bag into small pieces. Press evenly into the top of the cake.
The only thing left to do is to cover it and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. The longer this cake sits the better it gets.
The flavors of this cake are incredible. Wonderfully nice and moist, but not overly sweet. I also love the fact that it is chilled. It makes it a perfect summer dessert.
Next time you have a cake to make, put this one together and you will be everyone’s favorite cook!
Cookies and Cream Poke Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix prepared as directed
- 2 4- serving size Cookies and Cream Pudding mixes
- 4 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 packages dry whipped topping mixes
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies crushed
- Bake cake according to directions in a 13x9 pan
- Cool for 10 minutes
- While cooling prepare 1 of the pudding mixes with 2 cups of milk
- Poke holes with the end of a wooden spoon in the cake
- Spread pudding over the cake
- Place cake in refrigerator
- Now prepare the topping by mixing 1 pudding mix, 2 whipped topping mixes and 2 1/2 cups milk
- Whisk together with an electric mixer until nice and fluffy.
- Spread over top of cake
- Sprinkle crushed cookies over top
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.