Around the Christmas time I usually have the desire to fix a nice meal to mark the special occasion. My kids feel special when we set the table nicely and present a special meal to eat. I want the meal to look nice, taste delicious, but not be a lot of work.
On my weekly shopping trip to Kroger I saw some Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens that I thought would be perfect to serve this season. I was impressed that they are 100% natural with no artificial ingredients or preservatives and no added hormones or steroids. I thought they would be easy to prepare so, I came up with a recipe for Cornish Hens with Lemon Gravy that will knock your socks off! It is easy to fix and you can make it in one roasting pan.
I have the printable recipe for you below, but I will quickly tell you the steps here too. Once you prep your vegetables everything is easy to put together. Wash and pat dry your cornish hens. You will season the inside of each hen with a salt, pepper and sage mixture and with 1/4 of a lemon, 1/4 of a onion and 1/4 of a garlic head (there is no need to peel the garlic head, simply stuff it in). Roasting it with these things inside makes it so moist, juicy and flavorful. Once you have stuffed the cornish hen, truss the chicken with a length of kitchen string. This is just tying the legs together, which will help your cornish hen roast evenly. You will roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and lemons right along side the hens for an easy and complete meal.
Once the cornish hens are done roasting remove them from the roasting pan along with the vegetables and place them on a platter. Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes while you make the amazing lemon gravy!
For the gravy put your roasting pan on the stove top and turn on the burner (or burners) to heat the drippings. Stir the drippings as they heat, loosening the brown bits. Dissolve the flour in the canned chicken stock and add to the drippings. Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes until it is thickened. Now you will serve it with the cornish hens and vegetables. This gravy is wonderful and so full of flavor with just the right amount of tartness from the lemons.
You have now created a gourmet meal in one roasting pan that will make all your serve feel special. My kids really enjoyed eating their cornish hens. This is a recipe that you will want to print and keep to wow your family and friends.!
I loved cooking Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens this season. What is on your menu for your Holiday meal this year?
Cornish Hens with Lemon Gravy
- 4 Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens
- 3 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground Sage
- 2 lemons quartered
- 1 head garlic quartered
- 2 sweet onions
- 5 medium potatoes cut into 1" cubes
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1" cubes
- 3 large carrots cut into 1" lengths
- 4 tsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 TBL Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mix together salt, pepper and sage
- Wash and pat dry cornish hens
- Season the inside of each hen with a generous pinch of the seasoned mixture
- Place 1/4 of a lemon, 1/4 of an onion, and 1/4 of the garlic head in the chicken
- Tie the legs of the hen together with kitchen string
- Brush the outside of each hen with 1 tsp of Olive Oil
- Sprinkle the outside of each hen with generous pinch of the seasoning mixture
- Place hens in roasting pan with space in between each
- Place the remaining lemons, onions and the potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots in a bowl
- Toss the vegetables with 1 TBL olive oil and the remainder of the seasoning mixture
- Place vegetables around hens
- Roast, uncovered for 1 hour or until juices run clear
- Remove the hens and vegetables to a platter and cover with foil
- Let rest for 10 minutes while you make the gravy
- Place the roasting pan on the stove top and turn heat to medium
- Stir the dripping to loosen the brown bit
- Add the flour to the chicken broth and stir until smooth
- Gradually add to drippings
- Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes until it thickens
- Serve with the chicken and vegetables