My husband LOVES chocolate. He adores it, craves it and eats it any chance he gets. When it came time to make his birthday cake, I knew I wanted to make him a chocolate cake that would satisfy all his chocolate dreams. I started looking through all the recipes I had and decided to come up with my own using inspiration I had found from several and created my own Extreme Chocolate Cake.
This cake begins with a homemade chocolate cake batter which has slivers of semi-sweet chocolate peppered throughout. It also has a creamy and not as sweet, but still chocolatey filling and then the top is covered with a rich, creamy and thick ganache that is so easy to make and tastes divine.I used both Dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate in different steps in this recipe so that the chocolate flavor had more interest and depth. All of these things combined make the most decadent and rich chocolate cake you could imagine. You will need a glass of milk or some ice cream as the perfect pairing for this dessert.
I knew I wanted to have a filling that would also be chocolate but that would be something to compliment the other chocolate flavors and not make the chocolate overwhelming. I used cream cheese as the filling base and added semi-sweet chocolate and just a bit of sugar. This helped to counteract all that glorious sweetness. I used sour cream as the fat in the cake batter. It lightens the recipe calorie wise without losing flavor or texture. It made me feel like I was making the cake slightly healthier.
I was excited that this cake was a hit! It was moist, it was full of chocolate flavor, it looked gorgeous and my husband was impressed. This is definitely a cake to wow your biggest chocolate fan! (I also love my easy cookies and cream cake)
Extreme Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz semi- sweet baking bar chopped into fine pieces
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 oz Semi-Sweet baking bar melted
- 3 TBL sugar
- 10 oz dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup half & half
- Heat oven to 350
- In a large mixer bowl combine all the cake ingredients except the baking bar
- Beat a low speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth
- Fold in chopped baking bar
- Pour into 2 greased 9" round cake pans
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the baking bar at 30 second intervals until melted
- Add softened cream cheese and sugar
- Mix until well combined.
- Cool in refrigerator for 15 minutes
- Spread on the top of one cake round
- Place the other cake round on top.
- In a microwave safe bowl place the Chocolate chips and half & half
- Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each until melted and combined.
- Cool for 15 minutes
- Pour over the cake and spread around the sides of the cake
- Store cake covered in the refrigerator