Lemon Zucchini Muffins~ a wonderful way to use the bounty of the garden
Zucchini is one of the bounties of the garden. When it is the peak of summer it seems like everyone has more than enough zucchini for their own needs and all of their neighbors. I love zucchini sautéed with onions and a little bit of butter and in stir fry’s and such.
The only way I can get my kids to eat it is in zucchini bread though. There are many different versions of zucchini bread, so I decided to try making some lemon zucchini muffins and bake them in my mini muffin tin. I really enjoy treats that are bit sized.
The lemon is in both the batter and the glaze and it carries a nice flavor. In fact, the after these lemon zucchini muffins sit for a day the flavor is even more intense and wonderful. Lemon zest adds the most intense lemon flavor.
I made these lemon zucchini muffins in a mini muffin tin, but you could use a regular sized muffin tin. Once the muffins are cooled you can make the glaze and then dip the top of the muffins in the glaze. This is the easiest way to cover the tops with glaze. The lemon glaze will still drip a little down the sides so I put them on a cooling tray and let the glaze drip down. Eventually the glaze will firm up and be delicious.
If you enjoy making quick bread recipes please try my Apple Bread, Skinny Banana Bread, and Spiced Pumpkin Bread. They are all family favorites.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups finely shredded zucchini (do not peel)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBL fresh lemon juice
- 3 TBL lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 TBL lemon zest
- 2-3 TBL lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bow combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar
- Stir until combined
- Add the zucchini, oil, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest
- Mix until everything is well combined
- Fill mini muffin tin with batter
- fill the cups 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Combine the powdered sugar and lemon zest
- Add the lemon juice 1 TBL at a time until you reach desired consistency
- Once cool dip the tops of the muffins into the glaze