Have you ever had a “cornbread” debate with anyone? The debate is: do you like cornbread or cornCAKE? Corncake, is a cornbread that is super sweet and has a lighter texture, kind of like the Jiffy mix cornbread. CornBREAD is not so sweet and the texture is more course.
Around our house we like good old cornBREAD cooked in a hot buttered cast iron skillet. It truly is one of the simple and delicious things in life. Cooking it in a hot skillet makes the crust crispy and so, so tasty. It is the only way I fix cornbread. Using buttermilk also gives the cornbread a rich flavor, and be sure to use real butter. It will make a difference. The recipe is super simple, so try it out and see if you can settle the great cornbread debate around your house with this recipe.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Place butter in a 10" cast iron skillet
- Heat in a 425 degree oven for about 5 minutes until melted
- Meanwhile stir together cornmeal and flour
- Whisk in the eggs and buttermilk
- Remove the butter from the oven.
- Swirl the butter to coat the skillet, then pour the remainder into the cornbread mix.
- Stir until blended
- Bake at 425 for 20-25 until just golden brown
- Serve warm, straight from the skillet
I use White Lilly white cornmeal mix