I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid Crafts, Michaels, and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.
I love a good craft project. Coming up with an idea from the supplies you have, and then watching it grow into something beautiful gives me such a thrill. For this project I used some Spring Wood Surfaces from Michaels. The wood sign is a generous size and which led to some wonderful inspiration. With Valentines Day just around the corner I thought I would make my sign with a nod towards that holiday, but without all the traditional Valentines colors, so I could use it all year long if I chose to.
I began by sanding the edges, just to make sure all the roughness was gone. Then, with painters tape, I taped off the area I wanted to paint and used Folk Art Multi surface paint in teal to paint my outlined surface. I love this Teal color. It is deep and rich.
Because I generally don’t like my own handwriting, I cut out the words I wanted on vinyl to make a stencil. Then I simply daubed white paint on the stencil. For the key I painted it in an off-white crackle finish and then to finish it off I added a tassel. I finished the heart in a soft pink and added gold embellishing around the swirls.
For the finishing touch, I outlined the wood plaque, the teal background and the lettering with gold paint. Once I had done this, it made the whole piece come together. This is when I got really excited about the wonders of crafting. My projects always build from the beginning idea and I love it when it truly becomes beautiful.
For the last step, glue on the key and the heart. Tilting the key and having the heart hang down below the teal background adds a little whimsy and gives your eye more to look at and enjoy.
It is wonderful and elegant and can be used for Valentines or as decor for any other time of the year.
For more wonderful crafting inspiration please visit these wonderful sites:
- Plaid Website: http://www.plaidonline.com/
- The Plaid Palette Blog: http://www.plaidonline.com/blog – The Plaid Palette is a source of inspiration with news about new product introductions, project ideas, tutorials from Plaid’s craft experts and giveaways.
- Newsletter: https://www.plaidonline.com/craft-newsletter-signup.aspx – Sign up for Plaid’s email newsletter for special coupons, project ideas and more!
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/plaidcrafts – Plaid’s YouTube channel features videos with product demonstration, special seasonal projects and ideas from top Craft Experts.
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/plaidcrafts
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspiredByPlaid
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/plaidcrafts – A look into daily life at Plaid and project inspiration.
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/plaidcrafts
- Google+: http://plus.google.com/+PlaidOnline